Saturday, March 3, 2012

Burlap- ruffled lamps

DSCN7977
Hi.  This is attempt #2 at making a ruffle for my lamps using my burlap ribbon (see my post a few days ago at attempt #1).  I gathered them and hot glued them to the shade.  Warning…..since burlap ribbon is weaved and full of holes, be careful when you are hot-gluing the ribbon to the lamp.  I burned my fingers, even though I was as careful as I could be. 
First, I used  a tape measure to  measure the width the lamp shade.
Then I  doubled  that number.
I cut out my burlap ribbon to that length.
I also cut a piece of embroidery floss a few inches longer than the ribbon (you will use this to pull on when you are done sewing) and it  will gather the material. 
  To ruffle the burlap ribbon, I layed a row of embroidery floss down the middle of the ribbon.  Then I used a zig-zag stitch directly over the string of floss.  I sewed directly on top of the floss down the entire length of the ribbon. 
When I finished, I grabbed the embroidery floss and pulled it.  You will see how it gathers.  It is amazing!  SO easy. 
Then I hot-glued the ribbon to the shade and I was done. 
I sincerely apologize for the terrible quality of the pictures.  I took them this evening and the lighting was very poor.  I needed two shades-one for the lamps on either side of the couch.  The pictures just show the lamp to the right side of the sofa, there is one on the left also.
Note: I got the burlap ribbon at an antique store, but you can find rolls of it at Michaels. 
There are a few more pictures below.... 


signature

No comments:

Post a Comment